Back when Temple played UCLA, I had an Epiphany.
Watching that game on that brutally cold afternoon, one thought kept occurring to me over and over.
“Geez, their talent level is so much better than ours.”
Because no matter how hard Temple huffed and puffed, things seemed to come relatively easy to the UCLA players even in an environment far away from the friendly Southern California beaches.
Yes, Temple had a 21-10 lead at halftime and, yes, Temple’s top player (Bernard Pierce) left the game with that darn sensitive hamstring of his, but the players UCLA had kept coming in waves.
Hopefully, I thought then, Temple’s talent level will do the same to another overachieving team someday.
Today might have been one of those days.
The Owls filled areas of need in pass rushers and defensive backs. Pass rushing seems to come easy to the Michael Dogbes and Jacob Martins of the world. The same can be said for defending the pass for the top DBs the Owls recruited. The Owls got one four-star offensive lineman, Aaron Ruff of Philadelphia’s Imhotep Prep.
The day Matt Rhule was hired as Temple head coach Donald Hunt of the Philadelphia Tribune asked Rhule if he was going to sign the city kids and Rhule remembered that today at the press conference. Hunt asked the first question. It was about Ruff.
“I could not wait to see you and say I signed Aaron Ruff from the city,” Rhule said. “Not every kid in the city is going to want to come to Temple but I want every young man to feel that Temple is a good place for them.”
Also, for the third-straight year, Temple signed a Newark Star-Ledger New Jersey State player of the year. This year, it’s Dogbe, a 247-pound defensive lineman who benches 415 pounds.
Coaches coach, but players win games and now the Owls have the players.
Hopefully soon, it will be enough to win big bowl games.
Temple Football 2014 Recruiting Class
- Cequan Jefferson | DB | Richmond, Va. – Bio
- Shahid Lovett | DB | Vineland, N.J. – Bio
- Derrek Thomas | WR | Albany, N.Y. –Bio
- Alex Wells | DB | Baltimore, Md.- Bio
- Michael Dogbe | DE | Morris Plains, N.J. – Bio
- James McHale | OL | Dunmore, Pa. – Bio
- Ventell Bryant | WR | Tampa, Fla. – Bio
- Shamir Bearfield | DB | Jersey City, N.J. – Bio
- Lenny Williams | QB | McKees Rocks, Pa. – Bio
- David Hood | RB | Galloway, N.J. – Bio
- Aaron Ruff | OL | Philadelphia, Pa. – Bio
- Frank Nutile | QB | Ramsey, N.J. – Bio
- Sean Chandler | DB | Camden, N.J. – Bio
- Freddie Booth-Lloyd | DL | Cocoa, Fla. – Bio
- Anthony Davis | DB | Monroeville,Pa. – Bio
- Jaelin Robinson | OL | New Haven, Conn. – Bio
- Derrick Ingram | WR | Tampa, Fla. – Bio
- Brodrick Yancy | WR | Bradenton, Fla. – Bio
- Brenon Thrift | DL | Monroeville, Pa. – Bio
- Jyquis Thomas |DB | Plant City, Fla. – Bio
- Jacob Martin | DL | Aurora, Colo. – Bio
- Delvon Randall | WR | Monroeville, Pa. – Bio
- Jared Folks | LB | Harrisburg, Pa. – Bio
- Matt Eaton | WR | Pascagoula, Miss. – Bio
- Khiry Lucas | DB | Cleveland, Miss. – Bio